Winter is a great time to freshen up your home, regardless of whether you are trying to make your new home your own or planning to sell. Here are some great DIY home projects to consider tackling this winter!
- Applying fresh coats of paints can instantly brighten up a home and make it feel new again. If you're planning to sell, this is one of the most cost effective ways to get more money for your home. We always say paint is worth $35 in the can, and $1000 on the wall.
- While some people prefer to slap samples of a few different paint colours on the walls to determine which one they like best, Benjamin Moore takes some of the guesswork out of selecting a new wall colour with its Personal Colour Viewer web-based program, where you can upload a photo of the room you want to paint and see what different paint colours would look like on the walls and with your furniture.
- We recommend using a high quality paint that covers over your previous wall well. Time is money, and if you can do the whole room in one coat, it'll save you a lot of time!
- What colour?! Pinterest and Houzz are great websites and apps to look for inspiration for wall colours. If you're planning on selling, go with a light neutral colour that will appeal to most people.
- In additional to paint, a quick and easy way to brighten up a kitchen or bathroom is with a tile backsplash. Not only is it more hygienic and easier to clean, a tile backsplash can add colour or lighten up a room. Best of all, it can be easily done in a weekend. Here’s a video to show you how.
- If you're not up for learning how to do a new project, you can easily higher a handy (wo)man to help you with tile. It doesn't have to cost you a lot, and the finished product is more polished than a plain kitchen or bathroom.
- Removing clutter in one’s home can help with feeling more relaxed and settled. Even if you only devote a couple of hours a week to decluttering, it can make a big difference.
- Purge clothes you haven’t worn in years! If you look in your closet and see clothing you haven't worn for the last year, it may be time to donate it. We recommend Women in Need (WIN)
- Shred paperwork you no longer need!
- Take time to organize your garage, crawl space, or storage locker so that what you have in there is clearly labeled and easy to access.
- This is usually a good time of year to find plastic totes on sale, which are then waterproof in the basement or crawlspace.
- If you're planning to sell, you can take your de-cluttering to the next level by also de-personalizing. When you sell, you want your home to be as neutral as possible to the eyes of the buyer. This can mean taking down certain pieces of art, removing family photos and pairing down on personal items.
- We always include a home staging consultation as part of a listing package for our sellers. Working with someone who can be objective in how they view your space can be an invaluable resource! It will also make a huge different to your bottom line.