It’s December and the holiday season is here and time is ticking! The first weekend of December is usually when we get out our boxes of décor and start feeling festive. It’s also the time we start to panic about all the things we have to do; holiday parties, shopping and planning family gatherings! This is why I would like to share some decorating tips, 2016 trends, and my favorite decorating ideas this year!
Here are some tips to get you started:
The first thing I do every year is de clutter the areas I want to decorate. Take everything off the mantel, coffee table, cabinets, etc. Start with a blank slate! The number one mistake is adding decorations to your existing décor, it begins to feel cluttered and messy.
The second thing you do before you buy anything is PICK A THEME! This year is extremely overwhelming with so many ideas, trends and colors to choose from. Pick a theme and stick to it! The top 3 themes this year are
- “Traditional” (who doesn’t love red, green and white together)
- “Woodsy” (wood ornaments, logs and bringing the outside in) &
- “Metallic” (Bronze, Gold, Rose Gold, Black & Silver color scheme).
Less is More
Once you've picked your theme, now remember, less is more. Keep this acronym in mind: "K.I.S.S" (keep it simple stupid). Go through your boxes and see what you have before you go out and buy a whole bunch of items. Let’s be honest, we ALWAYS want to get something new each year, so get organized first and then go to the store with a purpose and a list.
Now that you have some ideas of how to get started, here are my top 5 favorite ways to decorate this year:
1. Red Berries/Eucalyptus arrangement: If you’re going with the traditional theme this is one of my favorite things to do. Grab a tall clear or white vase, purchase some eucalyptus and red berry stems from your local garden shop and add some decorative ribbon in your color scheme. This arrangement will give you height in a room and it’s simple.
2: Decorate your chandelier: Bring the outdoors in! No matter which theme you chose, it’s always nice to have some fresh greenery in the home. Ask friends or family if they have pine trees or large western cedars in their backyards that they will let you cut a piece or two from the tree. This piece of pine branch on my chandelier came from my grandmother’s yard and then I added some metallic colored balls.
3. Have fun with lanterns: Lanterns can be used all year round in the home
or outdoors so this is one item to splurge on! Fill your lanterns with decorate balls or pine cones and add some battery operated wired lights inside that are on a timer. This year I separated the colors for a more dramatic look. If you don’t want to purchase lanterns, use different height vases from your cupboard.
4. Front door: First impression is always important, right? Make your front door stand out this year. Purchase cedar garland from your local garden shop and place it around your door. If you want lights in the garland, weave them in first then add decorative pieces. I used green gardening wire to hold the decorations in place and added a simple wreath to the door with ribbon.
5. Cozy throw and a festive pillow: Not crafty? A simple festive throw blanket and pillow always pops in the living room and makes it feel cozy. I love bringing out my throw and pillow from the storage room each year just to use for the holidays because it feels extra special. If you go with a pattern on the blanket stick to a simple designed pillow.